Petromax is probably the best-known High-Pressure Light in the world. The name goes back to the councillor of commerce (the highest civil honorary title in Germany of that time), Max Graetz, who developed the lantern at the beginning of the 20th century in Germany: His friends called him “Petroleum Maxe” for which Petromax is the abbreviation. The name was trademarked the 5th November, 1910. From then on, the lantern became a successful product and millions of it were sold worldwide.
The glass is produced by Schott. It is heat resistant and made of borosilicate glass. All in all, the lantern is made out of 200 components and is put together by hand.